We introduce the first of the Temples, where during the Congress will be celebrated services.
The history of the church is related to the local claim of the Gdansk merchant, Henryk, who in 1434 appropriated the relics of the Holy Cross kept in the church of the Dominican fathers in Lublin. As a result of the miraculous sign the repentant merchant returned the stolen holiness, and as proof of the transformation he built a small wooden church dedicated to the Holy Cross west of the city. In the years 1603-1623 the place of a wooden church was taken over by a brick building founded by the Lubelskie burgher and the city authorities. In 1667, the Dominicans received permission from the Bishop of Cracow to establish a monastery outside the temple. In 1800, under Russian rule, the monastery became a cassock and was turned into a military hospital, and with it sacral character also lost a monastery church used as a warehouse. The building of the church was restored to its sacred destiny only in 1918, when the decision of the church authorities was established Catholic University of Lublin. Main renovations were undertaken only in 1927.
In the center of the chancel there is a monolithic body of the altar. The chancel wall adorns the crucified figure of Jesus Christ crucified, who is the Risen Lord.
In the northern half of the main aisle, a stone pulpit was located; Its balustrade is adorned on the outside with a series of reliefs illustrating the parable of Jesus.
The tabernacle table depicts a door decorated with a concave disc of sun / bread surrounded by Eucharistic texts taken from the Scriptures (Jn 13: 1, 1 Cor 11: 23b-26) and the Roman Missal (answers of the faithful after the raising and of the communion rites). The simple form of the bas-reliefs of the Madonna and Child draws the shape of the connected nests to the icon of Czestochowa.On the wall of the southern nave is the unique polychromy inspired by the encyclical Pacem in Terris (11 April 1963) Pope John XXIII (pontificate 1958-1963, canonized 27 IV 2014). Eugene Mucha, who with his team worked on the paintings from 1963 to 1965, reached out to centuries-old iconographic traditions and saints. Using the scriptures and hagiographic images, Pacem in Terrris presents the four pillars of the social order that guarantee respect for human dignity and peace: truth, justice, love and freedom (http://www.dakul.jezuici.pl/index.php/polichromia/).
The history of the Catholic Faculty of The John Paul II Catholic University of Life Sciences can not be separated from the history of the university itself. Since the beginning of the existence of the Catholic University of Lublin his authorities have emphasized the spiritual development of students. When in 1967 the Center at the Catholic University of Lublin was awarded the title of the Diocesan Center, it meant opening to the whole academic community of Lublin. Today, individual colleges already have their Pastors, but the KUL Center remains open to students from other colleges. Pastoral activity is realized through liturgy and sacramental ministry, spiritual direction and individual conversations in the chaplain room, through various forms and types of catechesis, retreats, and courses. Numerous Catholic movements and associations operate within the ministry. One of the forms of service to the whole community is psychological and family counseling conducted by employees and graduates of KUL. Patron of the Catholic Ministry of the Catholic University of Bologna since 1993. Piotr Jerzy Frassati, (owner of Pier Giorgio Frassati) – born April 6, 1901 in Turin, where he died July 4, 1925, Italian Dominican tertiary. He was a man of prayer, of joy, of an apostolate, sensitive to the needs of his neighbors. He died at the age of 24 for a Heine-Medina disease he had contracted from a poor patient he had helped.
From articles by dr hab. Krzysztof Mielcer, Iwona Kurowska, Edyta Lorenc and Magdalena Kowalska, from the website of the John Paul II Catholic University of Lublin: http://www.dakul.jezuici.pl/. Attached photographs: Tomasz Koryszko (ib.)